Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bacon and Egg Pies


Bacon and Egg Pies
(adapted from Donna Hay’s Modern Classics I, page 158)

  • 1 sheet ready-made puff pastry (mine is 9.5 x 9.5 inches, you will have some scraps left over…use them for this!)
  • 6 strips of bacon (Donna rationed 2 rashers per person, but I felt we deserved 3 each)
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (Donna used cheddar)
  • 1 – 1 1/2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
  • 4 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F).
- Place bacon on a baking sheet and place in the pre-heated oven for about 8-10 minutes. You just want to get the edges a bit crisp. Remember you are going to be baking it again with the tart! When done, drain on paper towels.
- Thaw pastry (in my kitchen this takes two seconds so I make sure everything is ready before taking it out of the freezer) and cut to fit two 1-cup capacity pie dishes (I just used whatever I thought would fit).
- Spread mustard on the pastry bases and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Top this with three pieces of bacon for each pie. I like to curve them around so they will cradle the eggs.
- Break two eggs over each pie.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the eggs have set to your liking. Serve immediately.
- Serves two.

No comments: